Monday, March 15, 2010

Chapter 17

Short chapter, sorry. Comment please.


Chapter 17



Sidney literally went through the rest of the dinner telling embarrassing stories about me. Some of them I didn’t know that he even knew about. Honestly, I was beginning to get pissed. It was funny at first, but he ruined it when he kept harping on it. Later rather than sooner, it was time to order desert. It was Max’s turn to order next.
“The two of us are going to share the dark chocolate cake with the nuts and peanut sauce drizzled on it.” Max said. I looked at him confused, since when are we sharing it? Never mind the fact that I hate dark chocolate and I’m allergic to nuts. I just nodded my head though and passed the menu on.
“I’ll have the sherbet with the strawberries on top.” Jordan ordered. I sighed, that was what I was planning on getting. Once the waitress left, I told Max.
“I can’t eat the cake.” I told him.
“Why? I’ve had it before, it’s absolutely delicious.” Max said.
Sidney interjected, “She could eat it, I mean if you want her to die.”
Max’s eyes widened. “What?”
“I’m allergic to nuts. But the cake does sound really good.” I lied, leaving out the part about my hatred of dark chocolate. That didn’t pass Sidney though.
“And she ha-“ He started to say, but I quickly silenced him by kicking him under the table, this time aiming right.
Max frowned, “I’m so sorry Ky, I didn’t realize.”
“It’s okay, you were just trying to be nice.” I smiled. I tried not to let the fact that Max and I have been dating for a month and he still didn’t know what I was allergic to bother me.
“Kylie?” A voice asked. I looked up to see Bryan and Rich standing hesitantly in front of the table. They were two of Lana’s best friends and I was quickly becoming good friends with me. I quickly made Sidney got up and I stood next to them. Bryan hugged me. “We thought it was you, but we figured it would be awkward if it weren’t you.”
I laughed, “That would be awkward.”
“So are you going to the movies tomorrow night with every one?” Rich asked. Max was staring at the three of us, his face was revealing that he wasn’t happy at all.
“Yeah, Lana and Connor are coming to pick me up.” I responded.
Bryan smirked, “Are you going to have to hide underneath my shoulder when you’re scared to death?”
I laughed, “Oh yeah Bry, you know it.”
Rich smiled, “Well we have to get my mom’s car back by nine, so we’ll see you tomorrow.” I waved to them and then slid back into the booth.
“Who were they?” Max asked darkly.
“Just some friends from school.” I said defending myself.
Max glared at me. “Are all of your friends that friendly with me?” I felt myself getting annoyed now.
“You wouldn’t really care if it were a girl I just hugged, so how about you drop it?” I gritted through my teeth.
“No, I don’t want to drop it.” Max shot back. The whole table went silent while they watched us bicker. It was a long week and I was using this night to relax. Max being all up on my ass like this, wasn’t relaxing. At all. I stood up. “Come on Sid, we are leaving.” Max didn’t say anything, he just crossed his arm across his chest and stared ahead.
“Uh, see you guys tomorrow.” Sidney said awkwardly.
“See you Ky, maybe we can go shopping tomorrow.” Vero suggested.
Max cut in. “No Veronique, didn’t you hear? Kylie will be too busy with her bff’s.”
“Hey Jordan, try to keep Max from fucking whatever fangirl slut that throws herself at him. Kay, thanks.” Sidney grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the table, “We’re going to leave before the next WW3 breaks out.” We walked to the car quickly, hoping that no one would notice Sidney. We were lucky tonight and escaped without any one noticing.
Sid laughed. “You and Max were fighting pretty hard back there.”
“It’s not nice of you to make fun of my misery.” I grumbled playing with the radio station.
Sidney shrugged, “You know how I feel about you two going out. But if he makes shit hit the fan for you, I will kill him. I promise.”
I rolled my eyes. “Really, Sidney. Is killing really necessary?” I asked.
“Cue in the cute movie music.” Sid said before sighing, “You’re my little sister Kylie, I’ll do anything for you. Even if it means ruining my NHL career and spending the rest of my life in jail, I would do it in a heart beat.”
“Is this where I give you a hug and promise to do the same?” I asked laughing. He smacked my shoulder, “Hey, I was trying to be all sentimental!”
I winced, “Keep your eyes on the road, hotshot.” Finally, we got back to the house and I threw my coat on the floor before heading into the kitchen.
“Ky, would it kill you to put your jacket in the closet two feet away, eh? Jesus Christ..” I heard Sid mumble. The answering machine was blinking red, so I clicked on the big arrow.
“Kylie! You have to call immediately! I don’t care if it’s two a.m in the morning here. Hockey Canada cal-“ I heard my mom’s excited voice gush. “Don’t tell her anything else!” I heard my dad yell from the background. “Anyway, call us back Ky, love you!”

I was left standing there puzzled. Sidney came in and saw my blank expression. “What’s up?” He asked.
“I’m actually not quite sure..Mom was freaking out about something though.” I picked up the phone and locked at the clock. It was only 10:00 here, so it would be 7:00 at home. The phone picked up on the second ring.
“Hello?” Mom asked breathlessly. I could tell she had run to the phone.
“Mom, what’s going on?” I asked confused.
“Oh, I’ve been waiting for your call all day! Troy, it’s Ky! Hurry up!” She yelled.
“Mom, can you please just tell me what’s going on?” I asked.
“The coach of the Women’s under 18 team called. She wants you to come to the exhibition camp!” My mom blurted out.
“B-but, I wasn’t invited to the strength and conditioning camp in the summer. You had to do that to be on the team.” I said in shock. The coach must have gotten the wrong person, this couldn’t be happening.
“She said that she made a mistake not choosing you! She said she watched your tournaments this summer and decided that you must at least attend the camp. She said that after that, it all depends how you play at the camp.” Mom breathed out. I started jumping up and down, I couldn’t help it. If I got selected to play in the -18 tournament, I could actually have a slim chance at making the 2010 Olympics! Mom started crying just like she did after every big thing that happened with Sidney. Dad would always tease her for crying over hockey.
“When’s the camp?” I asked grabbing a pen.
“It’s in two weeks in Calgary!”
Holy shit, my whole future would be decided in two weeks. That was almost no time to get completely ready.
“You know..I do technically have school..” I cautioned. My parents always put grades before hockey.
“Oh you’re blowing it off, honey! I knew you could do it Ky!” Dad interrupted.
“I haven’t made it yet. Nothing big as happened.” I said trying to keep my own excitement under control as much as there’s.
“You’re making it. No doubt in my mind.” Dad said firmly. “We can fly you out two days before it starts and I can meet you there.”
“I could be part of the first women’s -18 national tournament!” I said happily.
Dad laughed. “I know you will be, Ky. Now you go to sleep, all great hockey players need sleep. I love you sweetheart.”
“I love you too, Dad. Thank you for everything.” I said before hanging up and leaning against the wall. I closed my eyes and tried to let everything sink in, I really hope this wasn’t a dream. I decided not to tell Charlotte until I found out if I made it or not, it would be embarrassing to tell every one and not make it. I walked into the family room and Sid was sitting on the coach watching a hockey game.
“What was going on?” He asked, his eyes trained on the TV though.
“I actually did get invited to the exhibition camp!” I shouted. He stood up and hugged me, “I knew you would get invited! I just knew it!” He whooped. I laughed and he hugged me tighter. “Tomorrow after my game, we’re going to go get some fattie treaties.”
“But you haven’t had fattie treaties in forever!”
Sid grinned, “For this occasion, we’ll both be eating a ton of fattie treaties.



-------
Next Morning



I went to Sid’s pre-game skate the next morning, not really having anything else to do. I was itching to get into some skates since hearing the news last night. I managed to go through a whole conversation with Vero without spilling the news. It almost slipped out so many times though.
“What’s up with you? You are all jittery.” She said placing her hand on my knee that I realized I was bouncing up and down.
I laughed, “No reason.”
She eyed me curiously. “You and Max got in a big fight last night, but you are so happy. Did I miss something?”
“Nope, it’s got nothing to do with Max. Nothing at all.”
“Then what’s it about?” She asked.
I smiled. “Oh, I don’t know. It’s just a beautiful morning. A great day to play hockey.” I said, stealing the Pens logo. Vero shook her head at me, “You are a crazy girl.” I laughed and we both headed down to the lounge when the practice ended. We waited for about another half hour before the guys filtered in. Max stayed away from me and chatted with some of the other guys for a while.
“I just love your shirt, Kylie!” Sidney exclaimed before hugging me again. I had put on my Team Canada Women’s hockey shirt on this morning.
“Is this a confession about your interest in men? Hinting subtly with shirt comments?” Gogo asked.
“Nope.” Sidney flicked my head. “You are in the presence of a future women’s under 18 2009 team member!”
Vero gasped. “And you didn’t tell me!”
I blushed and looked at my shoes. “It’s not for certain or anything. I need to make the team.” Next thing I knew, I was wrapped in the arms of Jordan. He was so much taller then me that he almost had to bend over. “That’s great!” He exclaimed. Several other team members congratulated me and insured me that I would indeed make it. It was at home later that afternoon when I realized that Max didn’t congratulate me, but I didn’t really care because Jordan did. Something was definitely screwed up there.

5 comments:

  1. awww i love this story!! update more often i love love love it! great job! she and jordan are so right for each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget Max, have Jordan. Surprised she didn't share Jordan's desert but nuts. Damn, I know how hard that is. Haha "fattie treats". Great update and please ch 18 soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TEAM JORDAN! I love Max but ugh he is being annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Jordan!!! I can't wait to see what happens leading up to her leaving, as well as the trip to the movies...

    i hope you update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this story, please keep updating!

    ReplyDelete