Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I looked through my huge suitcase once again just to make sure I had everything. I went through the mental check list in my head: ten shirts, ten shorts, sports bras, tampons, normal clothes, one nice dress, make-up, straightner, and pajamas. I moved onto my hockey bag though. I could live forgetting a clothing item, but one missing hockey equipment and it would throw my whole game off. I was being a bit of a freak and brought eight sticks with me. That means I could at least break a stick a day and still be fine. I wonder how I even got to compile eight sticks, one of them was probably Sid’s or something. For the first time in years, it was 8:00 in the morning and I’m wide awake. I quickly changed into a pair of sweatpants a t-shirt from my old Cole Harbour hockey team. Since I was going to be sleeping on the flight, I actually put my glasses on. I did it just in time, the taxi that I called honked it’s horn outside. I grabbed the handle of the suitcase and wheeled it down the stairs. I swung my hockey bag over my shoulder and shoved both of them in the backseat before jumping into the front seat. I got into the passengers seat and strapped in.
“To the airport, right?” The cab driver asked.
“Yup.” I reiterated. I settled in for the half hour ride and crossed my legs.
“My name is Bill, yours?” Bill asked trying to be friendly and starting conversation.
“Kylie, nice to meet you.”
“Do you mind if I ask where you are going?” Bill asked.
I shook my head. “Nope, I’m going to Calgary.”
Bill shook his head. “Still bitter with Canada about the 2002 Olympics, but it is beautiful. Have you ever been there before?”
I laughed. “Actually, I live there. Well, technically I live here now, but just for this year. I’m living with my brother.”
“Going home to visit the folks?” Bill said.
“No, I live in Nova Scotia.” Bill put two and two together.
“Wait, are you Sidney Crosby’s little sister?” He asked in awe.
I shrugged, “Yeah.”
“What are you going in Calgary then?” Bill asked, quickly trying to change the subject.
“I’m being evaluated for a hockey team.” I answered.
“Big team?”
I shook my head. “I guess you can say it’s a big deal for me.” Bill pulled up in front of the parking lot. “I’m sure I’m going to be here hearing your name on SportsCenter in a few years.” He encouraged. I grinned and pulled my bags out of the back and put them on the curb. “Thanks.” I rooted through my bag and found the stick that I suspected was one of Sidney’s old practice ones. I threw it into the back seat of the car. “Here you go, one of my brother’s sticks.” I said. Bill’s jaw dropped.
“Thank you..I’m speechless.
I laughed. “See you later Bill.” I went through the tedious process of going through security and turning my bags in. Finally, after buying a bag of candy and a magazine, I settled into one of the hard plastic chairs. I texted Sid, who was in Atlanta. “Hey, I’m in the airport. Good luck tonight.” My phone buzzed a few minutes later. “That’s great. You’re going to do great. Don’t even worry.” I smiled, sure, Sid was a pain sometimes, but he really did care. I sat and read for about a hour reading before my flight got called. I sucked in a breath, grabbed my carry on, and boarded. I made sure I got a window seat and put in my headphones, preparing myself for the ten-hour flight ride.
---

I walked out of the airport with my bags in my hand feeling oddly refreshed even though I was just on a ten hour flight. I cranked up the volume on my iPod and walked down the street. There was nothing more that I loved than the view of Calgary; the river on one side, mountains on another.I hailed a taxi to the hotel the participants were staying at, the Fairmont Palliser. We were assigned a roommate, I really hope I wasn’t stuck with a bitch. My dad wasn’t coming until tomorrow afternoon and the camp started bright and early Monday morning. I checked in and got my key before heading up the elevator. To my surprise, the door was already cracked open a bit. I knocked on the door anyway before opening it the rest of the way. A girl with blonde hair was standing in front of the large window showing the view of the city. She turned around quickly and put her hand on her heart. “Oh, bonjour! I mean, hello!” She said. “You gave me a fright.” I smiled and put my bags in the middle of the room next to hers.
“My name is Marie, yours?” Marie asked in a thick French-Canadian accent. My eyes widened when I realized who exactly my roommate was. She was as good as my brother in women’s hockey. One of the best in the world. “You’re Marie-philip Poulin.” I said.
“Yes, yes I am. Your name?” Marie said laughing.
“Oh, I’m Kylie.” I responded.
She nodded, “Nice to meet you. You can choose which bed you want.”
I smiled. “Well, you seem to love the view, so you can get the
window bed.” Her smile broadened even more. “I was hoping you would say that!” She moved her bag onto the bed next to the window. “I figured we could put our hockey stuff in the closet for tonight and air it out on the porch afterwards.”
I laughed, “The people below us aren’t going to love that.”
She shrugged, “They should understand, it’s for the sacrifice of hockey.” I’m not going to lie, I love Marie’s French-Canadian accent. It was something I couldn’t get no matter how much I perfected my French. I kicked my suitcase under my bed, I could unpack later. It was a Saturday night, no parents, and in Calgary. There was only one thing I had in mind, something I have been craving to have for a while now.
“I’m going to go hit up a Tim Horton’s somewhere. I’m going to hunt one down. Want to come with me?” I asked her. I probably sounded a bit crazy, but ever since I moved to Pittsburgh, I’ve been in Tim Horton’s withdrawal. And that was pretty drastic for me because I swear my junior year I went there at least once a day.
“Yeah, I’m always up for some Timmy’s.” Marie said. I could tell Marie and I were going to be great friends. We went down to the lobby and walked out of our hotel, right into the hustling streets. The night life at Calgary was great. We just compared our childhoods and how we got to the point we are in our hockey careers.
“There’s one!” Marie shouted and pointed across the street. We both quickly ran across the street and ran into the warm shop. I blew onto my fingers, cursing myself for not bringing some gloves. Marie ordered first and then it was my turn. “Can I have one small hot chocolate, a small coffee, and a Snack Pack of Timbits, chocolate glazed please.” I said smiling. The worker stared at me before slowly saying, “All for one person..?”
“Yup.” I said brightly. He went to work with getting everything and the cashier rang up my order. I dug through my pocket and pulled out the amount of coins I needed. My mood sky-rocketed even more with something just that simple. I always felt like a fraud in America, Canada was my home. I never knew I would miss something as simple as paying in loonies. They were right, you never know how much you missed something until it was gone. I scooped everything up in my arms and carried it back to the table Marie had gotten. She saw the amount of food in my arms and her eyes widened.
“Merde! That’s a lot of food!” I laughed and sat down and opened the top of the coffee so it could cool down.
“I’ve been having dreams about the first time I could have a reunion with these.” I stated, dead serious. I bit into the first Timbit and closed my eyes, savoring the taste. It had the perfect balance of chewiness but crunchiness. Something that DunkinDonuts could never master. And Timmy’s doesn’t need a stupid slogan either. I would most definitely be leaving Calgary fatter. I ate and drank everything. Before we left, I even bought another box, but this time of twenty and a mixed box. Marie and I headed back to the hotel, where we would without a doubt be watching Hockey Night in Canada. I had to call Sid and tell him to be traded to a team in Canada. ASAP.

3 comments:

  1. Great update. For some reason I imagined Bill Guerin as the taxi driver. Please check out my blog, http://springbreakmexico-india.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. great update, can't wait to see what happens. update soon love love love this one. if you want you can check mine out too, Jonathan Toews is the first story, Jordan Staal the second.
    Love your stuff, keep up the good work!

    http://www.bestfriendsright.blogspot.com/

    http://www.fairytalesandhockeypucks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The Canada shout-out at the end was fabulous :) I also like Kylie's relationship with Marie and LOVE her adventures in hockey!

    ReplyDelete